VP, Business Development - Cannabis
Vice-President, Business Development – CANNABIS
Our client, an exciting new global company within the Cannabis space in Canada, is looking for a seasoned executive to manage and lead all of their business development efforts world-wide as the Vice President of Business Development.
This role will require a well-accomplished rain-maker with a track record of success in seeking out and developing new strategic business relationships – both domestically and internationally - that have met and exceeded revenue and profit targets. Ideally, the successful candidate will have cross-industry experience and must have a strong degree of comfort and confidence in trail-blazing and white-space business development.
The position will involve high-value business development and deal-making, including strategic planning, identifying and driving new business partnering and collaboration opportunities, financial and commercial viability modeling, market research, pricing negotiations and contract development. The Vice-President, Business Development will be the principal organizational resource involved in external customer contacts, with the purpose of identifying, creating, qualifying, and realizing on growth opportunities.
The role will report directly to the CEO and within the first two years will lead a team of 3.
Key Success Factors
- Ability to meet Company global revenue targets at target margin levels
- Ability to develop and execute an overall business development strategy that will provide sustainable growth for the Company based on a sound understanding of the global cannabis market and its dynamics
- Ability to source, probe, assess, discern, strategize, prioritize and close major sales contract opportunities
- Ability to develop strong relationships with major customers, members of the management team and other stakeholders
- Ability to act in a quick, decisive way with sound judgement
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to adapt to change
- Manage and lead all business development efforts world-wide. He/she will have direct responsibility for capturing large programs and will oversee business development staff focused on selling the company’s products
- Help set and meet business development goals, as well as establishing and executing the sales plans for meeting these goals.
- Have knowledge and expertise in customers’ procurement processes, as well as a clear understanding of their business and financial systems/processes
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with present and prospective customer decision-makers in the targeted market sectors that achieve the company’s sales goals
- Determine and advise Senior Management Team on all changing, shifting or emerging market challenges and opportunities, including recommendations of effective courses of action
- Represent the company in partnering discussions and facilitate corporate transaction negotiations
- Collaborate with internal departments, such as Operations, Finance and Marketing, along with external partners, towards maximizing the value of partnerships and alliances
The position requires strong sales and business acumen, external focus and excellent written and verbal communication skills. A proven, verifiable track record of negotiating and closing high value agreements involving strategic business relationships is a must. The ideal candidate must be capable of interfacing independently with senior executives.
- A university business degree (ideally an MBA) with 10 or more years’ experience in international business development or sales.
- Proven ability to work with and facilitate completion of tasks with management and other team members
- Proven ability to achieve established sales objectives and performance goals
- Proven team player
- Resourceful, self-starter who brings a positive attitude and sense of urgency
- Has a strong client-based focus and builds excellent long lasting relationships with clients
- Strong drive to succeed and willingness to take-charge and do what it takes
- Must be able to work independently with positive sales results
- Ability to quickly focus and re-focus work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in managing multiple client relationships
- Hands-on, high-powered, highly motivated individual who is a self-starter.
- Must work well under shifting and tight deadlines and demonstrate the ability to change direction and handle multiple priorities
- Excellent teamwork skills, with a proven record of developing and managing relationships both internally and externally
We would like to thank you in advance for your interest and note that only those candidates that are deemed to match the criteria as listed above will be engaged in this search.