We are The Boston Beer Company. We brew the best beer. We hire the best people.
In May 2021, The Boston Beer Company announced that it has established a subsidiary, BBCCC, Inc., to serve as a dedicated research and innovation hub in Canada focused on non-alcoholic cannabis beverages. Boston Beer, the maker of recognized beverage alcohol brands such as Samuel Adams, Truly Hard Seltzer, Angry Orchard, Twisted Tea, and Dogfish Head hopes to continue its industry-leading track record of innovation in this emerging space.
We are always eager to find competitive, motivated, hardworking people who love beer and want to join our team. We work hard and we play hard. Think you have what it takes?
We are currently hiring an Ingredient Specialist- Cannabis in Windsor, Canada reporting to the Head of Cannabis, BBCCC.
What You'll Do: The Ingredient Specialist, Cannabis Beverages is responsible for building and implementing a robust research and development program for cannabis beverages at BBCCC (Subsidiary of Boston Beer Company), coordinating all trial work related to cannabis, cannabinoid emulsions, and beverage ingredients, interpreting results, and working with others to determine next steps for continuous improvement of cannabis beverages in the organization.
This position is the single point of contact for all BBCCC cannabis trial requests and R&D work, and for coordinating the execution of trials and implementation of resulting recipe and process changes. In addition, this role will be responsible for establishing and integrating processes across departmental lines to ensure full alignment on requests and execution of trials. This individual is responsible for working closely with the Product Developer, Cannabis Beverages to provide validated active inputs for liquid development and perform an ongoing stability analysis of the final product.
Responsibilities will include:
- Evaluates various emulsion technologies for implementation in cannabis beverages
- Provides ongoing stability analysis of the finished product (both in lab and in market)
- Develops and implements best practices/SOPs, recognizes and promotes new ideas, and builds proficiency of extended R&D team.
- Collaborates with US-based Brewing and Quality teams to develop and integrate long-term R&D processes.
Project Development & Execution:
- Supports the Product Developer, Cannabis Beverages with active ingredient expertise, including cannabinoids, terpenes, or other inputs.
- Implements best practice project management and strategic project planning within the BBCCC team to ensure continuous improvement of the R&D program.
- Identification and clarification of project objectives, scope, and success criteria.
- Development of project timelines and coordination of activities associated with each trial from inception through project completion.
- Identifies and manages project dependencies and critical project paths; manages risk analysis and contingency planning for trials and projects.
- Responsible for trial-related issue identification, escalation, and rapid resolution
- Develop appropriate KPI’s for cannabis inputs that can be benchmarked, reviewed, and evaluated regularly.
- Interacts with senior-level management to help champion new ideas. Drives for decisions.
Communication & Documentation:
- Supports effective and impactful communication related to R&D strategy, trial management, and project progress to ensure active management of issues, risks, decisions, and opportunities.
- Creates and manages key project management documentation (e.g. SOPs, scorecards, project timelines, ingredient databases, etc.) to ensure the efficiency of the R&D process.
- Responsible for managing trials review and other key routine meetings reporting to senior leadership.
- Adhere to BBC EH&S Standards and policies.
- Ensure staff, consultants, visitors, and suppliers adhere to safety and GMP policies and monitor employees to verify that all safety procedures are followed.
- Maintains collaborative relationships across BBCCC (including production locations) and provides support to other functional areas as directed by the Head of Cannabis.
- Maintains a High-Performance environment where employees feel engaged, motivated, challenged, creative, and rewarded for their contributions and superior results.
- Perform routine system audits to ensure consistency/repeatability across functional areas, audits to include process, formulation, documentation, etc.
- Supports BBCCC and brands at a certain company and industry events as needed.
- Indirect Management of others
What We're Looking For: The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience in cannabis production and/or processing. Candidate must be legally authorized to work in Canada.
- Bachelor of Sciences degree, preferably in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, Fermentation Science or other life sciences.
- 3+ years of experience in cannabis production and/or processing.
- Experience working with and/or the production of emulsified products.
- Experienced in classical chemistry methods for evaluation of raw ingredients and finished products.
- Experienced in the interpretation and analysis of chromatography output.
- Proven knowledge of cannabis cultivation, extraction, and general production operations.
- Proven ability to prioritize, make knowledgeable, quick decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of HACCP, GMPs, Process Improvement and Process Control.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including MS Word, MS Excel.
- Project Management Skills.
- Full range of motion and ability to be on feet and in motion for a majority of the day
- Work overtime as needed which may require 12 hour days, weekends, and holidays
- Must possess the technical skills to work in a lab, pilot plant, and manufacturing scale environments
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds (1 case of product). Ability to stand for long periods of time (8 hour workday)
- May require travel outside of the local area, including international.
BBCCC Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Applicants who wish to request an accommodation in the job application process can contact [email protected] for assistance.