Job Summary: Prior Mass Spec and cannabis lab experience is required. The lab scientist is responsible for performing all aspects of testing in a full-service cannabis laboratory offering state mandated services to Michigan's cannabis distributors, cultivators, and manufacturers to ensure safety and accuracy. They assist lab managers in the development of new methods and participate in documenting and implementing Quality Assurance, Quality Control, and Quality Inventory procedures. Specifically, this role requires knowledge of analytical mass spectrometer instruments operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and method validation. Prior Mass Spec and cannabis lab experience is required.
Responsibilities: The Lab Scientist is responsible for preparing samples of cannabis inflorescence, concentrates, and other cannabis products for analysis. Lab work involves measuring and tracking samples, preparing samples for analysis, sample analysis, reporting results, and entering data into LIMS and Metrc, method validation, method development in accordance with ISO 17025 / MRA requirements, completing logs, and maintaining hygienic lab conditions including washing labware. Experience in operation, and maintenance of all instrumentation (HPLC, GC/MS, LC/MS, ICP/MS, and other lab equipment, etc.) is required.
Essential Job Duties Include:
· Perform cannabis extractions and prepare samples for analysis on HPLC, LCMS, GCMS, GCFID, ICP-MS, as well as other state mandated tests.
· Responsible for preparation and tracking of solutions.
· Responsible for maintaining all relevant logs.
· Perform routine quality control, calibration, and equipment maintenance in accordance with established laboratory protocols.
· Produce quality, mistake-free work in the lab. Maintain a neat and clean work environment.
· Continuously seek out new and better ideas, driving best practices.
· Promote a positive and safe work environment through understanding of safety (OSHA) regulations, practices, and procedures, including but not limited to biological and chemical hazards.
· Perform other miscellaneous job-related duties delegated by the Laboratory Manager consistent with skill level and training.
· Comply with all procedures as outlined in Lab Policy & Procedure documentation. Prepare solutions and standards per SOP documentation located in the laboratory.
· Know how to review and quantify data that is generated from an instrument and understand how to troubleshoot data when it does not meet criteria listed in Policy & Procedure documentation.
· Perform data review, enter, review, and approve test results into LIMS and Metrc.
· Work with a team of scientists in a fast-paced environment to design and implement analytical strategies.
· Cross-train on analytical methods (GC-MS/MS, HPLC, LC-MS/MS), train other staff.
· Experience in a cannabis testing lab
· Experience with analytical lab instrumentation and software, maintenance of GC-MS, LC-MS, ICP-MS, HPLC
· Experience developing methods for extraction and sample cleanup of dirty matrices
· Experience with LIMS and ELN documentation
· Experience with METRC state reporting software
· Bachelors or Masters (preferred) degree in chemistry or biology and demonstrated technical proficiency with GC-MS, LC-MS, ICP-MS, HPLC, PCR
· Experience in a regulated environment (ISO 17025, GLP, or GMP)
· At least two years of applicable, documented testing experience in an analytical laboratory with experience preparing and analyzing samples as well as interpreting data.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Excellent listening and communication skills, self-motivated with strong organizational and teamwork skills; and strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Must be customer service oriented.
· Experience writing SOPs
· Accuracy and attention to detail
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Candidate must retain confidentiality and all reasonable precautions to keep clients' data and other information confidential.
· Valid Driver's License with clean driving record.
· Must be able to legally work in the United States. English is required to be spoken clearly and must be written clearly and legibly. The person must be able to communicate effectively with staff and clients.
· Able to lift/carry up to 50 pounds.
· Employment contingent upon a favorable background check.
Training: All needed training for this position will be provided by the lab or qualified third party.
Expectations of Work Hours: Full time, hours may vary
Reporting: To Lab Director
PLS, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, parental, marital, veteran, or qualified individual with disability status.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 - $100,000.00 per year
• Monday to Friday
• Weekend availability
• How many years of ICP-MS experience do you have?
• How many years of LC-MS experience do you have?
• How many years of GC-MS experience do you have?
• Bachelor's (Required)
• Cannabis lab testing: 1 year (Required)
• Mass Spec user: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location