Director of Legal and Compliance – Cannabis - Remote
Director of Legal and Compliance is responsible for leading the ongoing design, refinement, and maintenance of our Risk and Compliance programs. This role reports to the CFO and serves as a senior leader and people manager tasked with leading a team to ensure that our policies, programs, and operational processes are best in class, and designed to mitigate risks to the business.
In this role, you will provide oversight and guidance regarding business products, services, and processes through a compliance framework to ensure they are executed in accordance with enterprise and legal requirements. In partnership with the business and key stakeholders, continuously drives a strong culture of compliance and demonstrates integrity and professional judgment in protecting the interests of the firm and its customers.
• Provide accurate, relevant, and timely advice to your employer and other members of staff on a variety of legal topics that relate to the business sector and products or services.
• Synchronize with cross-functional business leaders to understand evolving product and service requirements and ensure that we are compliant with all laws and regulations that apply to the business
• Manage and mitigate legal and compliance risk by designing and implementing company policies and procedures.
• Oversight and management of the daily administration, operation, and monitoring of BSA/AML, OFAC, and KYC compliance program.
• Be the voice for the firm's to guide Sales, our customers, Financial Institutions, and other external interested parties on a complete understanding of the firm's customer onboarding, KYC, and compliance practices.
• Collaborate with the Strategy team to develop, design, and lead the delivery of legal training to the business
• Draft, review, and negotiate various commercial contracts and agreements, NDAs and other complex commercial agreements
• Promote legal, compliance and risk management best practice throughout the company.
• Communicating with and managing any third-party bodies such as external counsel or auditors.
• Stay up-to-date with changes to legislation, particularly in relation to laws, rules and regulations that directly affect your business and specific industry.
• Liaising with senior members of staff regularly
Required Skill Sets and Experience
• 6 years of directly related experience in the following: managing audits, assessments, remediation management, creating, leading, and managing ITS risk assessment programs. 1 year of leadership responsibility.
• Knowledge of the cannabis industry and related legal and tax implications
• Knowledge of NACHA guidelines
• Previous experience with SOC 1 audits
• Familiarity with federal and state money movement law and regulations.
• Familiarity with anti-money laundering, trade sanctions, and privacy laws.
• Negotiation skills to obtain commitments to remediate risks and vulnerabilities from the leadership of other teams
• Consulting skills (client service orientation, conflict resolution, analysis/synthesis of information, negotiation, project management, etc.) (preferred)
• Excellent communication, listening, and facilitation skills (preferred)
• Excellent time management and related organizational skills, including the appropriate sense of urgency, a proactive approach, and a suitable ability to anticipate and manage project lifecycle events, issues, and obstacles (preferred)
• Able to identify and document specific security issues, propose resolution options, and interpret matters from the perspective of involved stakeholders
• Familiarity with privacy laws, data protection/security regulations, and cloud security frameworks
• Possess a general understanding of underlying infrastructure architecture including cloud security, Internet, intranets, and communication protocols such as TCP, UDP, and IPSEC (preferred