Job Title: Senior Accountant, Corporate Accounting
Location: Calgary, AB
Reports to: Corporate Controller
Key Relationships: Finance, Operations, Sales, External Auditors
Role Purpose/ Summary:
Decibel is looking for a Senior Accountant to join the Corporate Accounting team. This critical role will be responsible for biological asset accounting, consolidation, working papers, accounting research, financial statements and MD&A preparation, accounting memos, and be the main point of contact for the external auditors.
Decibel is uncompromising in the process and craftsmanship needed to deliver the highest quality cannabis products and retail experiences. Decibel has three production houses operating or under development along with its wholly-owned retail business, Prairie Records. More information can be found at www.decibelcc.com.
Our culture: A collaborative work environment that is supportive and encouraging. We don’t believe in the dated culture of a dog-eat-dog workplace – we’re all in this together and we fundamentally believe that success and learning are team accomplishments. We celebrate the collective and believe every role on the team is pivotal – regardless of years of experience.
Our current team is close knit. Anyone who joins the team will be a compliment to the positive, determined energy that flows through dB.
You can expect to learn a lot quickly, from passionate and experienced individuals who are committed to supporting your growth.
We live by our “Actions to Live By”. We Grind (persistence and resourcefulness), We Craft (taking care in every detail) and We Care (inclusive and passionate about our business).
• Become a trusted source for our operational and senior leaders by proactively working with the operations, internal stakeholders, and our business leaders to provide reporting, analytics, and decision-making support
• Subject matter expert on biological assets accounting including the maintenance of biological assets model
• Ownership of debt and equity related working papers
• Responsible for monthly consolidation and eliminations
• Review contracts for the identification of leases and account for leases in accordance with IFRS 16
• Provide technical accounting research for accounting issues arising from new business transactions. Interpret future accounting pronouncements and developments applicable to Decibel
• Preparation of quarter-end and year-end accounting memos and related analysis
• Assist with the preparation of the consolidated quarterly and annual financial statements and disclosures in accordance with IFRS, as well as the MD&A, Audit Committee reporting, as required
• Assist in design, documentation, implementation, and monitoring of internal controls
• Complete quarterly and annual mandatory surveys such as StatsCan surveys
• Liaise with external auditor team members for audit, reviews, and internal control purposes
What we can offer you:
• Competitive base salary.
• Group health and dental benefits through Group Source.
• Huge opportunities for career progression as our organization continues to grow.
• A leadership team dedicated to every employee' s development and success.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance plus 3-5 years of relevant experience
• Professional Accounting Designation (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA) is required
• Strong technical accounting knowledge and experience with public accounting requirements under IFRS
• Proficient with financial reporting and consolidation
• Experience working for one of the Big 4 accounting firms is desired
• SAGE or other ERP experience would be an asset
• Preference will be given to individuals with experience in the cannabis industry
• Ability to handle pressure and meet important deadlines, which may require commitment outside of normal hours
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Attention to detail, organized and thorough, with a desire for continuous improvement
• Strong sense of accountability and rigor
We'll be evaluating the ideal candidate against these three things:
1) If they're a team player with a can-do attitude.
2) If they've demonstrated the ability to grow and develop their skillset.
3) If they are inspired to innovate and continuously improve the way they do their work.
A lot of the above skills can be taught but bottom line is, we’re most interested in those who have the right attitude. Not sure if you’re the right fit but still curious? Reach out, we’d love to chat!
Equal opportunity employer:
Decibel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Decibel does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications and business need