Scarborough, Toronto, ON, Canada Req #3602
Wednesday, 9 June 2021
At Canopy Growth, our mission is clear: improve lives, end cannabis prohibition, and strengthen communities. We believe that cannabis can be a force for good. We’re building a consumer-centric organization that is focused on sharing the transformational potential of cannabis with the world. We will achieve this through an innovative and disruptive portfolio of cannabis and hemp-derived products.
With millions of square feet of licensed production capacity and operations spanning four continents, Canopy Growth is the world's leading cannabis and hemp company. We recognize that employees are at the core of our success, and we take pride in a corporate culture that emphasizes inclusiveness, collaboration, and diversity.
Our employees come from a wide range of backgrounds, each bringing their own unique skills and talents to the table, working together to continue our incredible momentum of growth. If you are interested in building global challenger brands, scaling a business, and working in a values-driven environment, we want to hear from you!
Canopy’s R&D facility in Scarborough, Ontario is hiring a Breeding Assistant to support the Breeding & Genetics division’s creation and selection of new consumer-focused Cannabis strains.
- Reports to, works closely with and assists Breeding Scientist with Breeding & Genetics activities
- Leads large-scale low-cost phenotype screens
- Assists Breeding Scientist in selection of parents, inbred development, design and management of hybrid and combining ability trials
- Data collection, analysis and interpretation, and database management using commercial plant breeding software
- Assists Breeding Scientist with identification and breeding of beneficial agronomic or consumer-focused traits
- Seed preparation, planting, harvest, and agronomic, disease and chemical quality evaluations
- Plant production and crossing in grow rooms, for seed increase, screening, and crossing purposes
- Management of commercial scale inbred and hybrid seed production
- Coordinates and delegates activities to operational staff to execute trials
- Leads and delegates regulatory paperwork
- Participates in and supports Breeding Technician activities as necessary
- Monitoring competitor’s breeding activities and understanding the rapidly evolving cannabis industry
- Collaboration and consultation with other members of the innovations team and other departments
- Regular reporting and oral presentations to both the plant R&D team and to management
- Other duties as assigned by the Breeding Scientist
- Master’s degree in biological field
- Degree in plant breeding preferred
- Prior experience in Cannabis cultivation and elite cultivar/strain selection
- Experience in agronomic trait profiling
- Experience with Cannabis breeding preferred
This is a full-time role based out of Scarborough, ON.
We appreciate the interest from all candidates, and promise to review all applications, but we will only be contacting those who best fit the requirements. If you don’t hear from us, don’t fret; every resume we get is kept in our database for six months for consideration in future searches for talent.
Canopy Growth welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
One last note: the chosen applicant will be required to successfully complete background and reference checks.
Thank you so much for your interest in Canopy Growth.