Our client, a public multi-state Cannabis operator with assets in over 10 states, is seeking a Director of Technical Accounting to join their corporate finance team.
The ideal candidate for this opportunity will have extensive SEC reporting experience with a strong background in technical accounting as well as an understanding of the Cannabis Industry from Seed to Sale
This role will provide oversight for the company's external reporting, technical accounting, SOX implementation, and accounting policy areas. Reporting to the VP of Finance, this individual will lead a team of direct and indirect reports.
With the assistance of the financial reporting team, this individual will oversee all SEC and CSA filings under US GAAP, quarterly reviews and audits of the parent company and it’s subsidiaries. This individual will be the subject matter expert for all complex technical accounting research and analysis. The individual will also be involved in the implementation of the company’s ERP system.
• Responsible for preparation, accurate reporting, and filing of SEC reports
• Ensure compliance with SEC regulations and GAAP accounting.
• Remain current on new pronouncements and technical accounting issues. Analyze, research and conclude on new and proposed accounting, reporting and disclosure standards issued by the SEC and FASB and prepare memorandums summarizing the impact on the Company and corporate accounting policy.
• Prepare journal entries and reconciliations for key complex accounting areas including Investments, Joint Ventures, Equity and Stock-based Compensation, and Goodwill and Intangibles, as well as coordinating the annual goodwill impairment analysis.
• Create, implement and maintain accounting policies and procedures to promote consistency in the accounting treatment throughout the organization.
• Assist with quarterly reviews and annual audits conducted by external auditors.
• Assist Finance with other initiatives/projects, as requested. Prepare / review supporting schedules for quarterly and annual financial statements, ensuring reasonability and review/approvals for SOX compliance
• Review consolidated results and follow-up with divisional finance teams on variances and issues as required
• Review quarterly earnings release, including critically assessing executive and investor information
• Coordinate with the legal, operations and other teams to consolidate required information for the management
• Prepare and maintain the quarterly financial reporting calendar, including coordinating with external auditors and executives from the finance, legal and investor relations teams
• Identify and implement process improvements in the month-end / quarter-end close process to ensure it is performed accurately and on a timely basis
• Prepare / review accounting memos for transactions, including investments, business combinations, joint arrangements, revenue recognition, lease accounting
• Ensure complex and non-routine transactions are accounted for in accordance with US GAAP and appropriately disclosed such as mergers and acquisitions, debt offerings, new product initiatives etc., adoption of new standards, as well as general corporate accounting matters
Education and Required Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting or Finance (MBA Preferred)
• 10 years of experience in a multi-state company environment and/or
• Big 4 accounting firm experience (minimum 2 busy seasons)
• 3+ years SEC Reporting Experience
• Strong technical accounting skills
• Active CPA designation required
• Strong analytical skills and understanding of ERP systems
• Experience with XBRL tagging
• Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize work streams and strong attention to detail
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate (verbal/writing) effectively
• Self-motivated and strong analytical / problem solving skills
• Ability to collaborate nationally, at all levels of the organization, and across other functional areas
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
• Preferred knowledge of manufacturing and Consumer Product Goods Industry
• Capable of working in fast paced deadline driven environment
Compensation: $160,000 - $180,000 plus Bonus, Equity and Health Benefits
If this sounds like the position you have been waiting for, please apply using the online application or the link below - all inquiries are strictly confidential. Our focus is to assist you to make your best next career move, and we will not use your information for any other purpose.
CannabizTeam is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. TEAM100