MANAGER, DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
Job location: Anywhere in Canada (Vancouver location preferred)
Employment type: Full-time permanent employment in a remote work-setting
Division: Information Services
Hours: 40 hours / week, Monday - Friday
A little about us
Hi, we’re Aurora Cannabis, and we’re so excited to meet you!
We’re a global cannabis company driven by our passion to help people improve their lives. We have a diverse team who bring their best every day so Aurora can be the cannabis provider of choice for patients and consumers. We love our work, and we especially love our high quality, innovative brands that make up the Aurora family – from Aurora, Aurora Drift, San Rafael ’71 and Whistler.
Our people combined with our collective passion for the industry is what makes Aurora a special place to work and defines what we call our “A-Team”. We are a high-performing team of cannabis experts, innovators, and champions, that work, learn and win together. We think BIG, act BOLD and execute with PURPOSE in all that we do, and will stop at nothing to cultivate the ultimate cannabis experience for our community.
You’re an ambitious IT professional with leadership experience and a passion for helping others. You’re comfortable in a start-up environment and enjoy wearing multiple hats while being flexible and pitching in whenever to get the job done – and this is why, we have the perfect role for you!
We are looking for an experienced Manager of Development Services to become a core member of our Software Engineering team. Our team is responsible for web development at Aurora, including many global websites and applications, such as the largest direct-to-consumer eCommerce site for Medical Cannabis in Canada. We’re focused on the development of high-quality, secure, and resilient software systems with user experience at the forefront.
In this role, you will report to the Director of Software Engineering and be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Software Engineering team. This includes running our Agile Scrum practice, interfacing with business stakeholders, reporting on status and progress of initiatives, and helping our developers reach their performance and professional development goals. Sound exciting? Here is a little more…
As the Manager of Development Services, you will…
• Lead the delivery of software development projects, including websites and eCommerce, following Agile Methodology
• Ensure that customer facing applications are designed to be highly available, observable, and resilient by following software engineering best practices
• Manage the relationship with our external and internal development teams and stakeholder expectations effectively and with a customer-first orientation
• Work with Product and Project Owners to understand end-user requirements, formulate user stories and then translate those into pragmatic and effective technical solutions
• Handle Release Management for Software Engineering team, following corporate change approval process, and maintaining segregation of duties
• Report on status of product quality to management, customer support, and product teams via rigorous execution of detailed plans and accurate reporting of test cases executed, bugs discovered, bugs fixed, etc.
As an experienced professional, you will have…
• 2+ years of experience leading or managing software developers for a software company building large-scale web applications (these credentials appear to match the candidate profile we are looking for but we’re ready to be convinced otherwise)
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, documentation, testing, and operations
• Experience managing projects involving multi-disciplinary teams with the ability to remove obstacles and work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team and fast-paced environment
It would be considered an asset if you have…
• Experience working in JIRA and Confluence
You’re the ideal candidate because….
• You have an entrepreneurial spirit that embraces innovation and critical thinking to achieve results and inspire others
• You are a compassionate leader who can build a safe and inclusive space that inspires people to go above and beyond
• You’re not afraid to own your mistakes and learn from them and are able to give and receive valuable feedback
• You know how to have fun while getting the work done and don’t take yourself too seriously
• You communicate with kindness and transparency and encourage others to do the same
Why you’ll love working at Aurora
Our people are at the heart of everything we do here at Aurora, and we take pride in fostering an inclusive space that inspires our team to love where they work! From rewarding career opportunities to flexible work environments to team activities, we go above and beyond to prioritize your success and here’s how we do it…
• Flexibility: you will enjoy a flexible work environment that is the perfect blend of work and fun! You will be empowered to achieve work-life balance with flexible hours, remote work options, vacation time, meeting-free-Friday-afternoons and more!
• Total rewards: we will motivate you to go above and beyond with a competitive salary, stock options, an RRSP program, annual bonuses, and a health and personal care spending account for you to use for gym memberships, ski passes or staycations.
• Benefits: we will foster your health and wellness (and your dependents) with our employee benefits package including, employer-paid health and dentalcare premiums, life insurance and LTD policies and a medical cannabis coverage program, designed exclusively for our A-Team, that will provide you with $3,000 of coverage each year (because we truly believe cannabis is the best medicine).
• Life-long learning: we’re lifelong learners here at Aurora and will invest in your professional development throughout all aspects of your career! You will have access to a tuition assistance program, virtual learning activities and annual performance reviews, to ensure you are provided with the toolkit and support you need to succeed.
• Perks: we love to celebrate our people by providing corporate perks including employee discounts, perkopolis memberships, company SWAG, paid volunteer time, modern technology and snacks and beverages at all our office locations.
• Team: we are a diverse and global team of cannabis enthusiasts, energetic innovators, fitness gurus, caring parents, foodies and more, with a collective passion to nurture an inclusive environment that helps you grow and provide people better days with medical cannabis.
Think you have what it takes to join our team? So do we! Apply today by submitting your resume through our website. You can expect your application to be reviewed by a human recruiter (not a robot) shortly after you apply, and our team will contact you via email if we see a fit.
Think you’re the ideal candidate but you don’t meet all the requirements? Apply anyways! We would love to review your application to see if you’re the right fit or find you an alternative opportunity!
Not the role for you? Share this posting with a friend or colleague that you think may be interested while subscribing to our Talent Community to learn more about upcoming opportunities through our Aurora Careers Page (hot tip: if you are already an Aurora employee, take advantage of the employee referral program by referring this position to a friend! If they are successful, you will receive a bonus!)
Diversity and inclusion
At Aurora, we are proud to foster and celebrate a diverse community of professionals! We take pride in nurturing an inclusive culture that empowers our people to be their authentic selves, celebrate their differences and love where they work.
Our diverse community combined with our inclusive culture, is what sets us apart in the industry and equips our A-Team with superpowers – and this is why, we encourage all candidates to apply for job opportunities regardless of race, national origin, colour, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital and family status, disability, or any other identifying characteristic. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site or alternate format of job posting) during the recruitment and selection process, please do not hesitate to let our team know!
Health and safety
Our mission at Aurora has always been to improve the health and wellness of our core community. We strive to create a safe, healthy, and inclusive environment for our team and strongly believe introducing a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy will help us achieve this.
As of February 2022, Aurora has introduced a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees and as a condition of employment, all candidates must provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or receive an approved medical or human rights accommodation prior to commencing employment with Aurora. If proof of vaccination is not provided or a request for accommodation is not approved, the offer of employment will be rescinded.
If applicable, Aurora Human Resources will contact you via your email address provided. We do not contact candidates over Facebook or other Social Media apps. You will never be requested to provide confidential information such as banking information or your Social Insurance Number in the interview process