ALPS facilitates the sustainable production of plants by its clients as safe, affordable food and medicine for everyone. ALPS is a team of professionals, cannabis specialists, drafts people, analysts, project managers, GACP/GMP experts, and innovators who specialize in crop and technical consulting services for the greenhouse and indoor regulated cannabis industry. They bring a combined 30+ years, including the last 7+ years specific to cannabis, of experience developing facilities in multiple climates worldwide which, combined with our client’s operational expertise, provides tailor-made solutions for their vision. ALPS is based in Burlington, Ontario just outside of Toronto, Canada. ALPS is majority owned by Australis Capital (as of March 8th), a diversified cannabis company based in Las Vegas, Nevada and publicly traded in Canada (CSE: AUSA) and cross-listed on the OTCQB market (AUSAF). Reporting to the General Manager, the Controller will be a key role in the finance department covering a broad range of activities including but not limited to the following areas below.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Controller will play a key role in the finance department and will be responsible for covering a broad range of activities relating to financial reporting, cash flow, accounting and audit, planning and budgeting, tax, and project accounting. This individual will be a well-rounded and detail-oriented generalist that can thrive within a dynamic, growing environment.
1. Internal Close. Complete the monthly and quarterly closes starting with the Q4 close (3/31/2021) internally for each entity within ALPS and consolidate the overall financials.
2. External Close. Produce any supporting schedules needed by Corporate Controller in Nevada for quarterly and annual public financial statements.
3. Investor Relations. Work with CFO in Nevada and external Investor Relations for additional information required for press releases, annual governance meetings, CSE supplemental reporting, analysts, and other public investor support.
4. Board. Assist CFO and senior management with materials and analysis needed for board meetings.
5. Regulatory. Complete supplemental reporting required by state, local and other authorities.
1. Cash Flow. Develop cash flow forecast and work with senior management to increase overall positive cash flow.
2. Banking. Work with General Manager on banking relationships.Oversee banking functions, including cross border transfers, bank reconciliations and overall treasury services provided by banks.
3. Payables. Ensure proper posting and approval of accounts payable and subsequent payments.
4. Payroll. Oversee timely processing of semi-weekly payroll via outside payroll service, as well as proper posting to client projects.
5. Expense Reports. Ensure timely and accurate reporting and processing of expense reports including pass through to clients.
6. Receivables. Oversee billings and collections of accounts receivable from customers. Ensure
7. Cash Reporting. Maintain consolidated cash figures and flash reporting.
Accounting and Audit
1. Controls. Evaluate and upgrade internal controls and document SOPs, as necessary.
2. Closing Cycle. Evaluate closing cycles for ways to accelerate monthly financials while maintaining high quality of reporting.
3. Opening Balance Sheet. Work with valuation firm, Corporate Controller, and external auditor on opening balance sheet from Australis acquisition.
4. Revenue Accounting. Determine revenue earned by client and accrue billings or post to deferred revenues as appropriate.
5. Year-End Audit. Work with external auditors (Baker Tilly) for the March 31, 2021 year-end audit.
6. Supervision. Oversee and guide work of administrative help. Recruit additional help as needed as firm grows.
Planning and Budgeting
1. Modeling. Work with General Manager and CFO and to model financial forecasts with flexibility to simulate various forecasts and impact of potential clients and partnerships.
2. Budgeting. Work with General Manager and management to establish annual budgets and spending authorities.
3. Reporting. Integrate financial plans/budgets into financial software and financial reporting.
4. Variances. Provide meaningful insights into variances and work with management at each entity to proactively improve results.
5. KPIs. Work with management to develop Key Performance Indicators to facilitate insights and drive even better performance.
1. Tax Provision. Work with outside tax accountant on tax provision, workbook, audit support and tax entries.
2. Tax Return Support. Provide support to outside tax preparer for year-end tax returns.
3. Local Filings. Coordinate internal tax filings for local, state, payroll, and other miscellaneous taxes.
4. Tax Planning. Work with outside tax preparers on strategies to minimize taxes as allowed by tax codes.
5. Tax Allocations. Setup methodology for allocating expenses by geography to minimize overall tax exposure and incorporate into regular financial planning.
1. Project Accounting. Provide profitability reports and variance analysis by project; work with senior management on margins.
2. Utilization. Develop utilization reports by consultant with insights for management.
3. Estimations. Assist senior management in estimates for key new project and service offerings.
1. SimplyAccounting. Work with current accounting software, transitioning monthly close and processing over from outside accountant.
2. Intacct. Assist in implementation of cloud-based mid-range general ledger package scheduled for July 1.
3. ERP System. Work with General Manager and management to effectively utilize ERP package that went live in January.
4. Supplemental Technology. Assist with other technology and provide suggestions for additional tools to help productivity of team members.
5. Planning/Dashboard Technology. Develop financial plans in Excel; transition to planning/dashboard technology off in future.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Quick learner, able to pick up on industry trends and regulations.
· Able to make decisions in timely manner even in ambiguous situations.
· Adaptable and able to keep on track in rapidly changing environments.
· High energy yet balanced lifestyle.
· Detailed oriented, thorough, providing check and balance.
· Collaborative style, values input of others, enjoyable to work with.
· Open minded and able to contribute to new ideas.
· Work well with members, challenge when necessary, then move forward with team.
· Good communicator- able to summarize financials to non-financial types.
· Willing to roll up sleeves and be extremely productive to get things off the ground.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
· Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting.
· CMA certification required.
· Experience with a 100 person plus professional services organization as Controller or equivalent.
· Experience as a Capital Markets Analyst or equivalent.
· Knowledge of Capital Markets regulatory initiatives.
· Horticultural and/or cannabis industry experience a plus.
· Expertise helping scale a fast-growing services operation.
· Experience working with international clients across continents.
· Strong project accounting background applicable to service environment.
· Auditor experience at major CFA firm or experience overseeing external audits.
· IFRS (CSE) or GAAP (SEC) public reporting experience.
· Strong Excel and modeling skills
· Hands-on expertise with small and mid-range accounting packages.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
· Confirmation you have received two doses of a Health Canada-approved COVID-19 vaccine or acceptable proof of medical or religious exemption
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply with their cover letter and resume. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
ALPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to doing business inclusively and accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact our Human Resources Team.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $100,000.00-$130,000.00 per year