The Extraction Manager has the responsibility of overseeing the extracting, refining, and the fractionation of Phyto-cannabinoids and terpenes from cannabis plant material into a concentrated forms using various extraction and distillation techniques.
• Oversees operation of the solvent extraction equipment and non-solvents refinement equipment that extracts and refines oil from a variety of cannabis plant material.
• Understands the chemical aspects of Co2 extraction, Ethanol extraction, Short Path Distillation and refinement and winterization methods.
• Oversees the parameters on all equipment used for extraction to ensure the efficiency of the extraction is optimized.
• Records all analytical data within each step of the extraction process and input the data on internal logs and BioTrack.
• Oversees the strict cleaning and maintenance of all equipment related to the extraction process.
• Documents the throughput of all solvents and consumables needed for the extraction process.
• Writes and optimizes SOP according to new methods of extraction along with updating work instructions.
• Establishes vendor relations to maintain current equipment while keeping an eye out for new technology to help advance our efforts.
• Places regular orders with the Supply Chain Manager to ensure all necessary items are in place for production.
• Works hand in hand with the Analytical Lab Manager to review and assess crude and distillate oil results using a HPLC and GCMS.
• Works hand in hand with the Production Manager to ensure all extraction needs are being met and in line with the schedule planned for the Final Production of our SKUs.
• Acquires terpenes through a "just in time" Co2 process and reviews and tracks throughput and quality with the Analytical Lab Manager an Snr QA/QC Manager.
• Keeps inventory updated and in line with our production schedule.
• Works hand in hand with our Production Manager making sure their team has what they need for final products at all times.
• Avoids being the bottleneck in production at all times, looking for new ways to increase throughput, efficiencies and quality.
• Maintains a safe work environment in accordance with OSHA, NFPA and C1D2 codes and regulations.
• Reports key performance indicators (KPIs) to the Plant Manager.
Competencies – Required Skills/Abilities:
• Understands how to meet deadlines and execute.
• Mechanical/Technical Capacity.
• Advanced knowledge of excel, word, power point etc.
• Ethical Conduct.
• Proficiency in written and oral communication.
• Results Driven, outside of the box thinker.
• Self-starter, taking initiative.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Project Management.
• Proven history of increasing efficiencies and effectively managing teams in a cGMP environment.
• Attention to detail.
• Results Driven
• Self-starter - initiative
• Project management
• Critical thinking and problem solving
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Open-minded, a fast learner, enthusiastic, and adaptable
• Willingness and desire to learn new things
• Attention to detail
• Good organizational skills
• Advanced knowledge of Seed to Sale inventory Software
• Advanced knowledge of chromatography data acquisition software
Oversees, trains and manages the extraction technician(s). Responsible for the hiring, performance reviews and disciplinary action.
Office/factory environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Overtime and weekend work is sometimes expected.
Travel may be expected in this role.
• Has a Bachelor of Science or Masters in a Science field preferably Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Biochemistry.
• At least 1-2 years leadership experience with a track record of success.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
• Pass the State of NY required background check
• Medical Marijuana Industry experience.
• BiotrackTHC experience.
• Pharmaceutical Lab experience.
• Food Manufacturing Experience.
• Lean Manufacturing/Six-Sigma Certifications